Crafty Book Review - Wee Wonderfuls

Thursday, June 02, 2011


Wee Wonderfuls grabbed me from the moment I picked it up. I saved looking through it for some quiet time and a cup of coffee. Little E was less restrained and started to demand pictures of her own mermaid straight away.

When I finally had my time with the book, I was not disappointed. I had to give the mermaiden a try as you can see above. Little E coached me along with the finer points of mermaid anatomy and the careful placement of shells. It appears that REAL mermaids have lower cut tails and some form of shell bikini. I think there might need to be a bit more growing up before we get one of those in our house.

Format – 24 patterns, illustrated with beautiful photographs followed by a comprehensive basic skills section and full size patterns for tracing. As a newbie to making softies I found the skill section to be very relevant – from different types of filling to how to mark and sew on a face.

Projects - There are a range of patterns with different skill levels. While they are largely aimed at little girls and doting matriarchs, there are a few pattern that may appeal to the little princes in your life, like Eddie Koji the dinosaur. The patterns take some time to make up. My mermaiden was not the 2 hr project I had anticipated, but the pattern was clear and easy to follow.

Who would I recommend it to? – I’d recommend it to someone with a few sewing basics under their belt who would like a range of simple and challenging softy projects.

Would I Buy It?
Oh yes!! I’m planning my trip to book depository as I type.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I also love this book, and currently have it out from the library for the third time this year. I should really buy it, because I want to make just about every project in it. Your little mermaiden is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book on Amazon last November with plans on making things for Christmas - I never did, but I LOVE the book! I was super impressed with it and am so glad I bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh I picked this up at the library yesterday having never heard of it before. LOVE! your mermaidian is great

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *